[time-nuts] Low cost alternate to Dual Mixer/DMTD

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Oct 3 20:15:54 UTC 2009

WarrenS wrote:
>>> If they are off you don't need this kind of performance.
>>>
>> Not true, if the offset is accurately known then a stable oscillator
>> that has a frequency offset > 1E-9 is just as useful for calibration
>> purposes as one that has an offset of 1E-11 or less.
>>
>     Sorry, an incomplete statement on my part. I should of at least said
> If it is CHANGING by more than  a Hz or even 1e-9,  ...
> As long as it's nominal freq is consistent and with-in range of the Reference Osc,
> then end to end calibration can be checked at any desired freq
> to minimize calibration errors which I've done by using an accurate
> (and somewhat noise) standard high resolution digital freq synthesizer.
>

>> Have you actually measured the mixer output noise when used as a phase detector?
>>
>     I've done some noise test on it but not what you would consider a standard noise test..

Drive the mixer LO and RF ports in quadrature using the same low noise
source.
Low pass filter the IF output and amplify with a low noise high gain
amplifier.
Look at the amplifier output with a spectrum analyser (e.g. sound card
based spectrum analyser).
Calibrate spectrum analyser using the Johnson noise of a resistor.
Calibrate phase detector by adding a known amount of phase noise to one
of the mixer ports (RF or LO).
Simplest way is to use a calibrated RF noise source.
> I've checked its wide band Peak to peak noise both open and closed loop.
> Also did an 'audio' spectrum sweep of the phase detectors output
> to insure that there are no spurs being caused by AM, FM, PS, or ground loops etc.
> Being a control loop person, the most reassuring test that I have done
> is to check the noise of the Reference Osc with and without the
> Feedback connected.  This is a standard control loop test to insure that the
> loop is behaving correctly and not adding a lot of its own noise to the system.
>

>> One can either use them with both the RF and LO ports saturated and
>> suppress AM noise or only saturate the LO port.
>>
>     One of the BIGGER advantages of this configuration is that many of the
> standard things one normally has to consider do not directly effect this system.
> Take AM noise, this causes small changes in the loop gain,
> which effect even smaller changes in the loop TC
> which effect even smaller changes in the measured signal noise.
> The loop TC is set way above the alising filter's bandwidth
> of the ADC which is set way above the Tau 0 time.

If both mixer ports are saturated AM noise is suppressed.
>> The latter mode of operation tends to have a lower mixer phase shift
>> tempco with a lower phase sensitivity than when both the LO and RF ports
>> are saturated.
>>
>     Again Something I'd like to try and get across is many standard things like
> phase Tempco etc have NO significant effect on the measured DUT noise
> with this configuration because they are inside a negative feedback Frequency loop.
> I have verified the limited effect of phase noise by injecting larges amounts of
> signal error at  the phase detector output.  A one Hz sign wave is down more
> than 60 dB, and anything slower like TC or DC is much less.
> Also standard things that can drive a standard high resolution Phase measurement crazy
> such as touching a cable or connecter have very little or no effect because their effect
> is inside the loop and most all their freq content is outside the measured noise spectrum.

Really?
Phase fluctuations due to temperature fluctuations will modulate the
ocxo EFC input.
Try vibrating the cable instead.
>> Phase detector IF port termination also affects its gain and noise.
>> Terminating the IF port in a capacitive load reduces the noise and
>> increases the phase detector gain.
>>
>     I put a cap right on its output as the first stage of the LP passive RF filter.
> This being a neg feedback loop where the main effect of the phase detector
> is to effects the loop gain, what I've done is to insure that the loop gain is
> reassuring constant by checking the open loop response of the Phase detector.
>
> If your point is that my setup is not optimized, I totally agree. I know that it can be made much better,
> I have not done all  that can be done to optimize the phase detector noise,
> But for now it is low enough and much better that my reference Osc,
> so further improvements are both mostly unnecessary and hard to verify.

Not if you measure the noise of each component as well (ideally) the
complete setup.

>>> The effective isolation between Oscillators with the mixer output RF shorted (by cap)
>>> and the 10dB attenuators,  is good enough not to cause (any measurable) Osc interaction
>>>
>> I doubt it, Try estimating the required isolation using Adler's equation.
>>
>     I don't know about Adler's equation and a lot of other things that would be nice to know
> But I do know how to test for cause and effect.
> One of the early test I did was to connect the two Oscillators outputs together thru a variable
> attenuator to see how much isolation I'd need and to see the effects when there is not enough isolation.
> That is when I found to my surprise the need to keep the RF ground shields isolated thru ground isolation transformers.
> I'll stand by my statement and can verify with test, that for the current configuration that I am using,
> The two OSC have NO interaction which is measurable above the noise level,
> which for now is good enough for now. I do plan to make it better in the future

I am not yet convinced of that.
> I find these exchanges interesting and somewhat reassuring that I have considered,
> tested and eliminate at least the standard typical type of problems.
>
> Note all the issues that you have raised up to now are general and apply to standard types of configurations.
> Can you point out some specific issues that I need to be concerned with and may of missed
> that are unique to this configuration?

Have you measured the frequency response of the ocxo EFC input?