[time-nuts] Acitve GPS antenna biasing

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 03:32:59 UTC 2009

Hi Bruce,

these are very nice indeed.

I used these conical inductors in our 2004 FireFox broad-band  synthesizer
prototype (working from DC to 1.64GHz), they are quite  amazing.

But:

* you need a microscope and a VERY stable hand to solder them down, and
cut-off the unused wire. I damaged quite a few before I figured out how to
solder them. And once soldered, they need to be physically protected because
they are so extremely fragile

* if I remember correctly they won't sell to everyone due to military
applications (their main use)

* their current handling capacity is limited

* And they are very expensive.

I ended up designing the FireFox with a series connected bias-t using a
120nH inductor in series to a 150 Ohm power resistor in series to a 2.2uH/270
Ohm resistor combination.

That works very well up to over 1.6GHz, and costs pennies  compared to $$.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 10/8/2009 19:33:06 Pacific Daylight Time,