[time-nuts] 5370A

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sat Oct 10 08:35:43 UTC 2009

> Oh, one last question for the night. I noticed that the CPU board has
> an emply ROM socket. I assume this is normal?
>
> OK, let's make it two questions. While I'm working on this thing,
> should I pull the EPROMS and ROMS and read them? I've heard of EPROMS
> going bad in some other old equipment (maybe it was on this list). Of
> course, finding replacement chips might be a challenge.

It's usually a good idea to back up the firmware in older instruments,
unless it's not socketed or otherwise safely accessible.  For the 5370A, the
ROM images are already available -- see
http://www.ko4bb.com/cgi-bin/manuals.pl?dir=04%29_ROM_Images/HP_-_5370A .

It's also been observed that the firmware sockets can be somewhat flaky in
the 5370As, so watch out for trouble there.

-- john, KE5FX