[time-nuts] fast freq. synthesis schemes

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Oct 14 23:43:51 UTC 2009

Pretuning is the right strategy, but for microsecond agility, YIGs may be
the wrong choice due to their main-coil inductance.

If I were building an agile 12-18 GHz synthesizer I'd try a heterodyne
scheme with varactor-tuned oscillators and a fixed (or very coarsely tuned)
YIG or DRO.  Either way, you would probably use a sampler, such as the parts
in the Aeroflex/Metelics catalog, to construct the outermost PLL.  Suitable
counter and PFD chips exist as well (Hittite etc.) but samplers are cheaper
and easier to use if you don't mind designing the IF circuitry for them.

I would use a DDS, but only for fine tuning in a summing loop.  E.g., use a
DAC to pretune the varactor or YTO to within 50 or so MHz, feed the sampler
LO port with a clean 100 MHz crystal, then close the loop by comparing the
sampler IF to the DDS-generated offset signal.  That way the PN is dominated
by the lower N factor assocaited with the 100 MHz comb, and the resolution
is determined by the DDS.

-- john, KE5FX