[time-nuts] Lady Heather wants to know: How big is your tube?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Oct 17 07:23:14 UTC 2009

> The 1920x1200 is a 16x10 ration, which seems to be more common that
> then TV 16x9 ratio that gives you 1920x1080.  I remeber one person
> posting that his computer was TV 16x9 resolution, but most of the
> wide screen Computer monitors I have seen are actually 16x10.  16x9
> computer displays do exist, but seem to be rare in my experience
> (unless you hook your computer to your TV).

My old 1280x1024 CRT died a week ago so I had to get a new monitor on short
notice.

I went to Frys.  I don't remember seeing any CRTs, but I wasn't looking for
them.

They had ~30 LCDs on display.  The ones I was interested in were mostly 23
inch 1920x1080.  That seemed to be a sweet spot.  (I think the smaller ones
were sprinkled around next to PCs.  I didn't look much at them.  I could
easily have missed another sweet spot.)

The 1080 comes from HDTV so I expect 1920x1080 will continue to be a sweet
spot.