[time-nuts] Lady Heather and gpsd

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sun Oct 18 02:09:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 09:44:12PM -0400, Tim Cwik wrote:

> I would like to use gpsd to provide time information from the Tbolt to
> ntpd on one of my servers but I would also like to be able to monitor
> Tbolt operations with Lady Heather. I am planning to make a splitter for
> the rs-232 from the Tbolt, connecting TD and RD to the server running
> ntps and TD only from the Tbolt to a machine running LH. Will this work?
> Is this the best procatice for doing this?
>
> I suppose another answer would be to modify gpsd to do the same work
> that LH does or arrange for gpsd to pass info packets on to a Linux
> process doing the same sort of monitoring tha LH does, but this seems to
> be re-inverting the LH wheel.

	I imagine one could hack gpsd to accept and relay commands and
port (or the virtual equivalent perhaps).

	And perhaps the same thing could be done to Lady Heather itself,
which in certain senses might make more sense for this situation - as
Lady Heather is highly tbolt specific and it might be easier to use
logic in it to sort out the non-Heather commands and responses and pass
them on without getting confused about what it was seeing and doing.
Not clear what the ideal path to gpsd might be ... I think of some sort
of socket interface rather than a second  physical COM port.

	I suppose it is even possible to have Heather just have a
gpsd/ntp mode where it sets up the Tbolt to generate the right stuff and
keep spitting it out and gpsd could merely be a passive listener tied as
you suggest with a simple Y cable.   Depends I guess on how general one
wants to be and what gpsd features one might want to use.

	Naturally some thought about conflicts between commands from the
two sources and what the presumed state of the Tbolt is moment by moment
is needed...