[time-nuts] Galileo

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Oct 22 07:53:52 UTC 2009

Martyn,

Martyn Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I knew it would happen.  A customer has just asked for a GPS system
> based on Galileo.

I would say that it is too early to invest in Galileo receivers as the
market is not yeat mature. GPS/GLONASS receivers is a better choice in
the case where the customer does not wish to rely on a single system.
GPS + SBAS should be the basic acceptance level for most uses.

> What's the staus of Galileo?  When is it expected to be running?

I don't recall the details, but the launch schedule isn't delivering a
usefull constellation in several years. See ESA GALILEO pages for
current status. I think the Wikipedia article should also convey the
basic facts.

> Does anyone know of Galileo GPS receivers or dual receivers?

You will find that a few vendors such as Javad and Serpento offers
multi-frequency receivers which also includes modern signals such as L5
and Galileo. That after they provide GPS L1/L2 and GLONASS L1/L2.

I would not say that it is a mature market, and prices is accordingly.

I don't think the market will be mature in this respect for another 5
years or so.

Cheers,
Magnus