[time-nuts] HP 5071A Electron Multiplier of Cesium Beam Tube

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Sep 7 01:19:58 UTC 2009

Of course, you'd hear the same thing if you asked the modern-day HP if they
could refurbish an inkjet cartridge. :)  Not the same thing, and not the
same company, I know... but still, HP had no incentive to try very hard to
develop a reconditioning process, at least before Datum started selling
replacement tubes.

One problem is, the job would have to be done under vacuum at every step, or
at least in an inert-gas atmosphere.  That means either some kind of glove
box or robotics.  If any oxygen were to enter the tube, the cesium that's
deposited everywhere would oxidize immediately and irreversibly ruin any
surface it's on.

My guess is that anyone capable of reconditioning a Cs tube at home would
also be capable of building one from scratch.  Easier to earn the $30K for a
new one at McDonald's, would be my guess.

-- john, KE5FX