[time-nuts] 5071A tube EEPROM and tube data

Corby Dawson cdelect at juno.com
Tue Sep 8 07:14:26 UTC 2009

While copying the EEprom data to use with a new tube might be a
copyright violation, removing the EEprom from the defective tube and
using it with a replacement tube would not! It is easily removed from a
small PC board mounted on one of the tubes connectors!

John, There are stages in the EM. I'll see if one of the ones I removed
is handy and count the stages.

As far as "loose" cesium in the tube, not so much! Most of the spent
cesium is trapped in gooey carbon stuff spread around the inside of the
tube where the beams end up. However a nitrogen atmosphere glove box
would be the best way to try any repairs. Replacing a bad ion pump might
be possible this way. I used a giant tubing cutter to remove the end
caps to evaluate repairing tubes. Decided the market was not there to
make it worth the effort! A grinder with cutting disks is a quick way to
take one apart to explore the insides.

The HP tubes used a heated metal "burst" diaphragm not glass ampoules to
release the cesium during the tube manufacture.

Corby