[time-nuts] Cesium tube details

Corby Dawson cdelect at juno.com
Sat Sep 12 23:19:53 UTC 2009

Dave,

You stirred up a stimulating discussion on the internal workings of the
tubes.

I've had a bunch of emails asking questions about the tubes.

So I'm going to take lots of PIX of a tube disassembly to show what the
"guts" look like.

I've also received many ideas on how to refill an empty oven.

The PIX should also show just how difficult that would turn out to be!

Did you ever happen to acquire any knowledge of the gettering "goo" that
they painted on the inside walls of the tube?

There also seems to be a carbonized piece of bamboo (at least thats what
it looks like) about 1/2 inch square on the end cap where the spent beam
impacts.

Is it really bamboo? Kind of neat if it was, ultra hi tech meets ultra
low tech!

I'll post the link to the pictures once I get the time to do the cutting.

Corby Dawson