[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 13 04:51:09 UTC 2009

In the deep space exploration biz, we've been talking about time and frequency transfer between spacecraft. It's pretty easy to figure out what the "Shannon limit" for the link between the spacecraft is (given power transmitted, antenna gain, etc... And with coding, we get within tenths, if not hundredths of a dB of the limit)...

So, if I have a clock of some performance on Spacecraft A, is there a "simple" way to say how well I can do transfering that to Spacecraft B?