[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Sep 18 03:05:24 UTC 2009

> From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
> Is there any evidence that these crystals are actually
> baked out at a higher temperature than cold weld
> copper packaged ones?

Did you find the second link that Bruce G. provided?  At the page labeled
379 (I think actually page 11 of that document), the section "Future
Research for Deep Space Mission Needs" describes the processing. Baking at
over 230 deg. C to drive out impurities, and when doing that and drawing a
vacuum, the copper softens and collapses if you try a standard package.

I don't know if those fox all-quartz packages can maintain high vacuum or
not.  I guess I could ask them next time they are trying to get me to buy
some oscillators.

--
Chris Caudle