[time-nuts] [OT] Re: Solartron 7150plus DMM Failure

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 10:15:20 UTC 2009

Hi Nigel,
The filter is an FN372 2A unit. This is a common failure. It's due to the particular type of epoxy cased, self-healing capacitor used in the filter. The case encapsulation cracks and if the unit is left in storage damp gets in. The self healing is by the metal coating that forms the capacitor plates vaporising when the insulation breaks down. Evenventually this forms a sort of chain reaction and the whole thing goes up in acrid smoke. It's not related to any MIL spec. The capacitors are used in some Farnell powersupplies and are a common failure there as well. Equipment that is in regular use seems to be OK, leave it in the garage for a year and you may have trouble. The problem with the FN372 is that it's a snap fit and has the voltage selector built in. There is no direct fit alternative that I know of. New FN372's (with better capacitors) are available from RS for under £30.

Robert G8RPI.