[time-nuts] LPRO Heat Sink?

steve gunsel sgunsel at verizon.net
Wed Sep 23 16:27:29 UTC 2009

It seems to me that the heat sink is like having a hole in the bottom
of the bucket, just takes longer to fill. Added thermal mass would
keep the temperature more even. A radiator just dissipates heat, the
hotter thew object the more heat it will dissipate.  The radiator
doesn't know if it is at the "right" temperature or just too
hot.  The temperature regulator (thermostat to me) would be adjusted
to provide sufficient heat when required, to bring the temperature to
the top end of the hysteresis band, then stop. When the temperature
hits the lower bound, the heat turns on again, and so on.

My current furnace thermostat has about a 0.5 degree F band, my older
one was more like 3 degrees F to minimize cycling of the heat pump.
It does make a noticeable difference in comfort level. I think the
oscillator would be in the same boat, keep the temperature band as
narrrow as possible, and add thermal mass to minimize the
cycling.  If it gets too hot, the temp controller should be adjusted
to avoid the overshoot.