[time-nuts] DC-DC converter

Alan Hochhalter alanh137 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 26 03:14:56 UTC 2009

Joseph Gray wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive 12VDC to 48VDC
> converter to power one of my Z3801A's? I can find 12VDC to 24VDC
> units, like this one at Jameco:
> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=212514
>
> Thanks.

Powerstream (http://www.powerstream.com) makes a dc/dc converter that,
if I understand it correctly, can take 8-48 V in and put out 2-80 V.
I've never used one but they make it sound like you can program the
output voltage.  The price isn't exactly low, but 12 V to 48 V seems to
be much less common than the other way round unless you find a surplus
unit or something like that.  The only experience I have with their
products is two 24 V to 12 V converters from them for use in a surplus
military truck.  I don't have all that many hours of use to judge their
reliability.

Alan