[time-nuts] Can anyone spare an LPRO lamp?

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 22:03:32 UTC 2009

Hi,
back in the 80s I used a few different brands of HeNe laser.
Some had their windows cemented to the tube and the He could leak out.
The cure was to put the tube in a paper bag, point it at a power
meter, and
release the contents of a He party balloon into the bag. After 5 or
10 minutes
the power would be rising and when it looked right the bag was
whipped off.
The tube was then good for another year or two.
The mass of He in the fill must have been very small.
The mass of rubidium in a lamp must be very small.
cheers, Neville Michie