[time-nuts] Symmetricom 5115

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Apr 7 23:01:34 UTC 2010

> Thank you for getting this discussion back to technical aspects
> related our
> real quest for technical information.
>
> Please look in your actual documentation for the current model 5125 and
> confirm its actual specs. I had read some specs on the
> Symmetricom website
> but I do not know for which model. Although automated and easy to use, I
> remember that the phase noise floor was lackluster and makes me
> think that
> this may be fine for very close-in measurments but not for the
> usual 100Hz
> to 100KHz offset measurments. Please let us know what you find with this
> equipment.

The 5115A is more useful as an ADEV test set than as a phase-noise test set.
Symmetricom can upgrade it to 5120A specs, which enables cross correlation
and improves the PN floor substantially, but I have no idea how much that
costs.

The 5125A is a 5120A with coverage extended to 400 MHz.

-- john, KE5FX