[time-nuts] Yukon Energy causes time sync problems

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat Apr 10 18:29:31 UTC 2010

Tom, I don't intend to challenge your knowledge but to discuss
the subject. It's amazing what a different viewpoint can do, and
how difficult it is to share viewpoints in email.

As a person who grew up with synchronous clocks, when real men used
vacuum tubes, I find it incredible that a lightly loaded synchronous
clock motor could go any faster than the line frequency. It can go
slower if the bearings gum up with old oil and the motor drops out
of sync. That's why I say that the reference clock slowed down.

We can't resolve this until we know what Yukon was using for clocks.
I thought the article implied that their reference clock was a wall
clock somehow driven by some signal from some satellite. GPS wasn't
mentioned.

Bill Hawkins
BSME MIT 1960 (minor EE) (would have majored in EE but the old
rotating machinery was torn out and replaced by vector math)