[time-nuts] GPS PPS smoothing article

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 09:35:11 UTC 2010

Looks to work on the same basic Phase detector principle as Brooks Shera's
GPS unit,
It then uses a DDS freq driven from the 100 MHz clock to generate the PPS
and a FPGA for the processor logic.
It Disciplines the PPS using a standard digital PI controller method that is
set for a short 10 sec plus Time constant.
This way they get the short term noise of the cheap clock Osc and the long
term stability of the GPS.

The reason it works is that ANY xtral Osc has less ADEV noise at one Hz than
the GPS does,
so the PPS  1 to 10 sec jitter goes down, but for any time much longer than
that, it doesn't help, depending how good their clock is.

I think you can take them at their word that type of scopes didn't mater and
they did report what the 1 sec ADEV value was.
It is safe to assume it did not help much above about 10 sec, unless they
where to use a very good system clock oscillator and a longer TC for the PI
controller.

The basic idea works fine to reduce the 1 sec GPS jitter to 1 ns.
I did the same sort of thing using a standard DIP osc, but only needed the
FF which I used as the phase detector and a couple of  RCs.
The rest of the stuff is really not all that necessary.

ws