[time-nuts] repairing Maser threads

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Apr 13 18:29:39 UTC 2010

Corby wrote:

>What I hope will happen with the right product is that I apply it to the
>threads, screw in the bolt until it just contacts the lock washer, wait
>until the goop cures, and then
>tighten until the lock washer is compressed and the bolt is tight.
>
>Just don't know what product to try! Want to be able to disassemble
>without special tools or heating.

Tall order.  John already suggested helicoils, which are probably the
best option.  To avoid messing with the chassis, you could turn some
custom bolts that are slightly larger but with the same pitch (the
standard pitch for M5 is 0.8 mm, so you'd make some "M5.2 x 0.8" or
"M5.5 x 0.8" bolts).

I have had success in emergencies by getting the female threads
surgically clean, then using metal-filled epoxy to fill up the
threads and, after hardening, running a tap down them (leave several
threads at the entrance unfilled, to get the tap started in synch
with the originals).  But I don't consider this a proper repair and
have always re-tapped for helicoils at the earliest opportunity.

Best regards,

Charles