[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

David Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 00:34:59 UTC 2010

In the case of compasses, a balanced needle tends to tilt to align with the
vertical as well as horizontal component of the earth's magnetic field - so
it's level at the equator, north end low in the northern hemisphere, and
south end low in the southern hemisphere.  But you want the needle level so
it doesn't drag on the capsule and so the pivot works the way it was
designed.  So northern hemisphere compasses have excess weight on the south
side in order to give an approximately level needle despite the tilt in the
magnetic field in that area.

Recta makes compasses with magnet and pointer as two separate parts, linked
by a bearing whose axis goes east-west.  The magnet is free to tilt.  The
needle indicates the azimuth portion of the magnet position, but ignores any
tilt component and remains level in the capsule.  They call it a "global"
compass because a single version works everywhere (that a compass can be
used at all).

However, I don't see how the earth's tilted field prevents a CRT from being
used in both hemispheres.  I can see how it might need to be realigned,
since it uses permanent magnets on the yoke and their field will be
influenced by the earth's local field.  But a different model for the
southern hemisphere?

     Dave