[time-nuts] GPS receiver stuck at South Pole :)

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Mon Apr 19 22:09:03 UTC 2010

Hi Jean-Louis,

I grew up in Borås. ;-) Actually I spent quite some time less than 5km
away from SP - where I guess you had your business. There is a "hole" in a
skyplot where we never see GPS birds, but it is somewhat compensated with
SVs rising quite a bit over the north pole. Less high elevation satellites
but instead more low/medium elevation satellites to the north, than in
France.

It is not that uncommon that there are more satellites available than my
12 channel all-in-view receivers can track... ;-) One weak spot is the
rather low elevation of GEOs, which will give frequent loss of EGNOS
(SBAS) when driving a car in anything but the flattest terrain. On the
other hand the current performance level of basic GPS is plenty enough for
car navigation.

--

   Björn