[time-nuts] 4501 Netclock

Ralph Smith ralph at ralphsmith.org
Thu Apr 22 12:25:52 UTC 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:03 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

>> Has anyone successfully used a Thunderbolt GPS  with a 4501 Netclock  based
>> on the design that John Ackermann describes on his web page.
>
> I assume you are talking about:
>  http://www.febo.com/pages/soekris/
>
> Calling it a Netclock confuses google searching.
>

>> What I am concerned about is whether or not the Thunderbolt  RS-232  port
>> supplies the time information in the correct format.
>
> If you are using ntpd, the Palisade driver (29) has an option to support
> TBolts.  It works fine for me, but I'm running on a vanilla PC rather than a
> Soekris box.
>
> I think that driver is included in the normal build.  If not, you will have
> to rebuild ntpd.

Additionally you can also use gpsd and interface to the ntpd SHM driver. I also wrote a program called tboltd that in addition to interfacing with the SHM driver allows you to monitor the Thunderbolt with Lady Heather. There is a thread on that at <http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2010-February/044476.html>

Ralph