[time-nuts] Which voltage regulator chips offer good performance...?

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Mon Apr 26 15:01:40 UTC 2010

Hello, Time-Nutters--

Bob Camp said:

 > snip
 > ...stability is not the only issue.
 > Crud on the power supply is an issue as well.
 > Some of the ultra low drop out regulators
 > are not real good crud blockers.

So... This would seem to bring up the question
of which 3-terminal regulators ARE good (if not
"good" then which are the "best"?) providing both
stability -AND- clean, crud free output?

How about old standby regulators such as
the 723?  Problem there is that the stand-alone
chip is only good for really low current.

For years I have been using general purpose
3-terminal regulators sometimes with carefully
selected low impedance capacitance on the output.

In some cases I have found that a high-gain
transistor in the output configured as a
"capacitance multiplier" serves to handle
current load spikes but is only a nominal help
in cleaning up crud on the output.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Mike Baker