[time-nuts] Regulating a pendulum clock

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Aug 8 04:16:36 UTC 2010

OK. You know better.

BTW, op-amp noise is essentially irrelevant in this application, and the
C's across the FB resistors limit slew rates so there is no significant
dI/dt to cause voltage spikes.

-John

================

> Your naive stabilisation scheme wont work, try simulating it.
> 741's are somewhat noisier than necessary.
> Omitting the diodes with an inductive load almost inevitably leads to
transistor or opamp destruction.

> Bruce
>
> J. Forster wrote:
>> IMO, far too complicated.
>>
>> I'd use a series pair of u741s each with a complementary emitter follower.
>> 2 u741s, 2x 2N2102, 2x 2N4036, 5 resistors. Maybe 2x .01 caos to stabilize
>> the thing
>>             ---------------------------------------------
>>           |\|     |---|c
>> DAC --o--| \     |   |\  2N2102
>>        |  | / --o-o     |------CCCCC
>>        R  |/    | |   |/  2N4036
>>        |    |   | |---|c
>>        |    |--------------------------------------------
>>        |        |
>>        |--------o-------------------------to input of mirror image
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> -J
>>
>> =========
>>

>>> The attached circuit schematic illustrates the Howland current source
plus inverting amplifier drive technique.
>>> It also illustrates a method of frequency compensation (series RC
connected across the coil).
>>> Of course one can either use discrete buffers or high current opamps.
However for improved accuracy using a difference amplifier with built
in
>>> pretrimmed resistors for the Howland current source may be preferable,
in which case a discrete buffer stage or equivalent may be required.

>>> Bruce

without an output buffer stage.

You
DAC,

pendulum swing and so I can monitor it's accuracy quite easily
using

the coil it quite simply increases the current one way to slow the
clock
doesn't make sense to me - but it works!)

controller which I have attached to a rubidium oscillator. Getting
the

needs to be controlled via a micro controller output (which goes
from