[time-nuts] Regulating a pendulum clock

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Aug 9 20:30:24 UTC 2010

"This limits the compensations one can put into a pendulum clock" unless you actually build compensation for those effects too :)

I would think the timing of gravitational effects of the moon and the sun can be easily predicted. I am not sure the amplitude of these effects can be precisely modeled, but that would be an interesting part of the project. If you know the timing of a perturbation, you can measure the effect from the instrument itself (by checking it against a reference that is insensitive to that perturbation and applying the proper filtering algorithms) and determine the coefficients experimentally.

That is what the Thunderbolt does while it is locked to GPS, so that when it loses the signal, it can keep its OCXO in check.

Didier

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...