[time-nuts] Simulation

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Aug 14 17:03:45 UTC 2010

> One side-effect is that you run into possibilities of oscillation.
> This have happend and was the cause of a GPS outage in a US Harbour a
> few years back. What was a wise design became an enemy due to a subtle
> change in part. Don't recall if the part was replaced by an
> "equivalent" or same part-number, but the new version didn't work as
> expected during all conditions...

Yes, one of the most probable problems. I've read the story about the
GPS outage in that harbour, as I remember it was caused by a failure in
one TV antenna amplifier on a boat - but I don't remember if it was an
isolated case due to a failure (or to a bad repair replacing the part
with a similar one), or was a more 'endemic' problem :)

Regards,

Javier

Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherrero at hvsistemas.com
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com