[time-nuts] Low jitter oscillators

Pete Rawson peterawson at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 16 00:58:45 UTC 2010

I have data on a relatively easy to reproduce programmable
source consisting of a Wenzel Sprinter OXCO @ 100MHZ
followed by an AD9513 Eval board.

This pair yields <1ps rms jitter using a measurement bandwidth
from 1Hz to 5MHz. Beyond 5MHz the noise floor is -166dBc/Hz.
This result was measured on an Agilent E5052B and confirmed
(with significant uncertainty) on a DTS2075 via rms calculation
based on the DTS measured jitter floor of 2.1ps rms. These are
all cycle to cycle measurements.

Certainly, optimized OXCOs will perform much better than this, but
it was good enough for my needs. I have informal communication
within Agilent that the low jitter 10811 devices exhibit <180fs rms
jitter routinely.

Pete Rawson