[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement (was - no subject)

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Aug 21 18:03:39 UTC 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:11 PM, John Miles wrote:
> Also, it looks like you (Mark) are only about an hour from Cerritos, where
> the MUD ( http://www.microwaveupdate.org ) conference will be held at the
> end of October.  This could be one option for you.  As part of the $35
> registration cost, you get access to a test lab set up to help attendees
> measure noise figure, PN, etc. on any homebrew or commercial gear they wish
> to bring.

Interesting. I still think I'd like to be able to measure low phase noise signal sources at home if practical. In particular, I've been toying with the idea of starting my own little company on the side, making and selling ham-radio-related/test-equipment-related stuff that seems to be missing from the market, as a (probably small but hopefully positive) secondary source of income and an excuse to design, build, accumulate (and deduct!) fun electronic equipment. My desire to learn to characterize phase noise stems from the idea that some of my products would be things whose phase noise should be specified, and it wouldn't be right for me to leech off other people's test equipment and effort if I plan to make a buck at it. Thus, I feel the need to learn how to do it myself, and then use that ability to add some value to the world in some manner.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/