[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement (was - no subject)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Aug 23 05:17:44 UTC 2010

http://www.synaesthesia.ca/LNschematics.html

Is a better link, in that one can actually view the circuit schematics.

There are a few simple refinements that will dramatically improve the
low frequency PSRR of the single ended JFET circuits in the HPS5.1:

1) split the 3k3 resistor feeding the green LEDs into into 2 series 1k6
resistors and bypass the common node of these 2 resistors to ground.
This low pass filters the noise current flowing in the LEDs due to power
supply noise.

2) It would probably be even more effective if the base of the cascode
transistor were driven by a voltage equal to the JFET source voltage
plus about 3.7V.
It should, for example, be possible to use a selected JFET to do this.

3) The output servo should drive the noninverting input of the opamp via
a CBCS cascode (or equivalent) with a load resistor connected to the
input stage positive supply rail.
This should improve the PSRR dramatically. I use something similar in
one of my low noise preamps albeit with a few LEDs in series with the
resistor to provide most of the voltage drop as in my case the required
voltage drop is reasonably predictable. This reduces the noise
contribution from the servo integrator.

Bruce