[time-nuts] Slightly OT - GPS-Based Accurate Direction Finding

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Aug 26 19:22:46 UTC 2010

> You don't need to DF the VOR if you decode the signals.. the decoded  signal
> (i.e. the phase difference between the 30 Hz AM and FM  modulations) tells
> you what direction the VOR is relative to you...

The angle/phase from the VOR lets you draw a line on the map.  It doesn't
help you to point the map in the right direction.  For that, you need the DF.

david at smithfamily.net.au said:
> Some background - I'm needing an accuracy of 1 degree or better.

Have you tried a good compass?

You might have troubles with the steel in a fire tower, but fire towers have
good visibility so you should be able to get a good bearing on a handy
landmark.

Don't overlook the steel in your car.