[time-nuts] Better GPS

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Aug 27 16:46:09 UTC 2010

Hi

I've been digging around at acc.igs.org. They seem to think that their clock models are good to below 0.05 ns. They compare that to a 2 ns number for the "as broadcast" models. 2 ns is a pretty familiar number if you look at a lot of TBolt plots. All of their data is online and available for download at some point in time past live. The longer you wait the better the data.

They really like the idea of L1/L2 receivers and fancy post processing. They also are after a lot more than just time. I still have not noticed any complete L1/L2 receivers for < $100, so I can't do their full solution approach. Ionospheric correction seems to be one big thing you loose by going single freq.

There's a pretty good summary of all that at  http://acc.igs.org/UsingIGSProductsVer21.pdf

Since the TBolt sort but not quite of does carrier phase you might be able to use their data to improve things. I doubt that you would get to 50 ps, but even a 2 or 3X improvement would be worthwhile. Even getting it some of the time (midnight?) would still be useful. It would be a log lots of data and compare thing - not that unusual.

Has anybody else dug into any of this?

Is there a secret stash of cheap L1/L2 fixed location receivers out there that I haven't stumbled across?

Can you really win the lottery by picking up the winning ticket off the sidewalk?

Lots of questions....

Bob