[time-nuts] Time Code generator

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 14:22:55 UTC 2010

Hello The Net:

Another possible application is for a pocket digital recorder to
generate a serial time code, record it,
and also allow 2 channels channels (stereo) of simultaneous audio recording.

One pocket digital recorder I am looking at is the Olympus model WS-500
(~ 70$ at New Egg)

It may not have "Time-Nut" (10 to the minus 12)  accuracy but it would
serve
my purpose when recording/logging satellite QSO's in a portable
operation with
a hand held full duplex, dual band walkie talkie and a hand held/pointed
dual band yagi antenna.
Audio receive from the satellite downlink would be fed into one audio
channel
and uplink audio would go to the other audio channel.
I could also live with only one audio channel for the downlink.

On playback the recorder indicates actual time of the recording being
played back.
After the satellite pass, transcribe the recoded info, or archive it in
a digital file.

The digital recorder is pocket size allowing hands free operation.
One hand to operate the transceiver and the other hand pointing the antenna.

I have not bought one  yet, but I suspect the archived audio file would
allow time stamping to be played back in the common PC media player
applications.

Is the serial time code IRIG-A/B/C ?  maybe not,  but I can live with
the existing time code format..

Stan, W1LE      Cape Cod     FN41sr