[time-nuts] Time Code generator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 8 19:22:00 UTC 2010

On 12/08/2010 02:27 PM, scmcgrath at gmail.com wrote:
> When audio/video time code is specified if its on a audio track its
> called LTC or Longitudinal Time Code and is generally IRIG-B,   This
> is very uncommon these days as it went out of common use about the
> time 1" reel to reel was discontinued.
>
> Most common today on NTSC is VITC or vertical interval time code.
> Its encoded as a series of pulses in the vertical blanking interval.
> The display is generally called a 'Screen Burner'

LTC (Linear Time Code) and VITC (Video Time Code) is both being part of
SMPTE 12M-1-2008 which is the time-code formats for audio, film and
video recordings.

LTC is NOT IRIG-B, but a distinct code (I just checked the respective
standards to be sure). LTC enumerate picture frames and the rate changes
between 24 frames/s, 25 frames/s, 30/1,001 frames/s or 30 frames/s.
IRIG-B is quite unfit for this.

Cheers,
Magnus