[time-nuts] 3586A HQ PDF Manual available -optimization-

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 11:13:04 UTC 2010

In a message dated 10/12/2010 10:19:08 GMT Standard Time, rbarrioss at msn.com
 writes:

I've  downloaded the reduced-size PDF and, although not very obvious, there
is  loss of quality. See the attached comparison and see how sharpness  is
reduced on the optimized capture at the right side. My goal was to  create
the highest possible quality manuals, using the big sharp scans  found at
KO4BB website. I'd prefer to release them as good (and big) as  possible so
that anyone who needs it can reduce the size (always at a  cost). The
optimization can be done at any time but the lost bits are lost  forever,

-------------
I've also found that the Adobe optimisation option needs to be used with
care and subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, loss of quaility seems to be
inevitable.
I never use it now on files intended for distribution.

Whilst modern scanners can produce excellent quality in terms of resolution
 etc the two big problems I've observed with them, and with the  scanning
techniques they seem to encourage, are the very large default file  sizes
they tend to produce and the much reduced contrast, with the  latter usually
being much more of a nuisance.

Both seem to be due to the way in which everything gets treated as colour
or greyscale and the only way I've found so far found of dealing with this
on  completed PDFs is to extract all the pages as TIF files and process  them
individually for contrast enhancement etc, and superfluous color depth
reduction, in something like Photoshop or PaintShopPro.

I've had some good results with this but you sure need one heck of a lot of
 patience and spare time, so mostly these days I give thanks for large hard
 drives and just try to live with it:-)

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR