[time-nuts] Got 60HZ?

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Dec 11 10:40:10 UTC 2010

I'm sure that the spectral purity that you obtain by first multiplying
and then integer dividing is far better that using any fractional
division, moreover if you are not multiplying by a big number :)And not
need to use too much weird circuitry if you use as I mention a
microcontroller that integrates it along with a programmable timer that
can be used to divide it. Also, the jitter and noise from the PLL
multiplication is reduced by the division (the resulting 60Hz would not
be so bad, believe me - I've use a similar technique for generating
square or PWM-modulated signals in the kHz range. In that cases jitter
were not an important parameter so I did not measured it, but the
resulting signals were quite clean).

Cs sources are rare and expensive, and Rb sources are more common,
mainly due to the price and size of the physics package. The Rb lamp is
a quite simple and small device, but a Cs tube is rather more complex,
big and difficult to manufacture. Although this could change in the
future - there has been several publications (reflected on this forum)
about micro-miniature Cs sources.

Best regards,

Javier