[time-nuts] Loran DX and Austron 2100

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sun Dec 12 15:37:22 UTC 2010

Good Morning Claude,

I am assembling a K9AY terminated loop antenna, pointing to N. Europe.
(~30 degrees)
Will use a ARR preamplifier at the antenna.

I hope to start listening later this month.

Some stations to listen for:
Lessay, France master on GRI 6731, Soustons France, slave X
BO , master on 7001, Jan Mayen, slave X, Berlevag slave Y
Sylt,  on 7499, Lessay, slave X,  Vaerlandet, slave Y
Eidi (Ejde) on 9007 master,   Jan Mayen slave W,    BO slave X,
Vaerlandet slave Y

 From my location on Cape Cod  FN41sr, looks like the closest active
chain is Eidi with GRI of 9007
Eidi, IP62lh DX of 2900.1 miles
Jan Mayen,  IQ50pv,  2900.2 miles
Lessay,  IN99fd   at 3274.1 miles
Soustons,  IN93hr at 3412.4 miles,  (6731 GRI)

I have not calculated BO, and Berlevag details (7001 GRI) nor for the
Sylt chain.

A google search on "Loran C stations" will show a listing of the few
active stations
with the station details like RF power output and Lat/Long.
I have converted Lat/Long to 6 digit grid locator for my ease in LOB and
DX calculations with BD2004 software.

Sky wave propagation should be possible for the North Atlantic, European,
Western Russia, Saudi, and  Mediterranean chains.

Low likelihood of any ground wave and its better accuracies.
I miss my Nantucket Loran-C station and its Cs accuracies.

A modern Stanford Research Systems model FS700 Loran C receiver
is on hand as the receiver.

Stan, W1LE      Cape Cod     FN41sr