[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Dec 19 05:37:39 UTC 2010

My original thought in starting all this off was more or less prompted by
the PICTIC2 and the Signalhound (q.v.). All control and calculating
functions are done in the PC. There are NO controls or readouts of any
kind on the device. So, the basics are a front end, with start/stop, a
scaled interval for frequency measurement, and an event counter. If I have
it right, the PICTIC has a front end design (I haven't built mine yet) and
the scaler and counter can be done either with a Propeller or some other
fast relatively inexpensive chip. A prescaler would enable counting higher
frequencies if needed, although the precision is of course cut unless the
prescaler can be "read".
Integrating over many samples, and all the other arithmetic is done by the
PC. I really don't see six-layer boards, switches, lcd's readouts, etc as
necessary at all. So, this device has 3 BNC and one usb connector. Or 3
sma and one miniUSB for the most modern among us. I suppose a wired net
connecion instead of a USB is also possible. You can have a green led to
show it's on, I guess :-)

Don

Bob Camp
> Hi
>
> Which then gets us to the question of just how many people are interested
> in a $750 counter that basically does what a 5370B does? It wouldn't have
> an LED display, but it also would not have 20 pounds of manuals to back it
> up. You'd likely go with something other than HPIB, but in the end it
> would spit data to a PC somehow.
>
> Bob
>

> On Dec 18, 2010, at 11:24 PM, jimlux wrote:
>
>> Bob Camp wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> In the case of a $200 5370, you have to wait a while to find one. When
>>> you get it, you likely have to do some work to get it running. At the
>>> very least you will need to do a cal. My guess is that a counter
>>> project would be very similar. There is an order and build process that
>>> happens every so often. Eventually you get a set of boards that *might*
>>> work. They still need a bit of this and that to get them running. Once
>>> running you need to do a cal.
>>> The calibrated and running counter is something you can have tomorrow
>>> (more or less). That's very different than the kit of boards.
>>> Bob
>>>

>> But, looking at the $750 price point, you should be able to do better on
>>  the boards and not needing to fiddle.  More turn-key.
>>
>> The TAPR VNA is in that price range, and was basically plug it in in,
>> and it works.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road