[time-nuts] Loran?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 21:39:25 UTC 2010

Well I guess we are getting "nuts" about this.  Yes OED
says "radar orig. U.S. [f. radio detection and ranging.]"
but that does not mean it is an acronym.   OED reserves
the term "acronym" for words made using only the fist
letter of each description word. "radar" uses the first two
letters from "radio" and so OED uses only the "f."

I have the full version of OED at home.  I'll try to look
it up.  I bet they have a page length article on "radar".
The on-line version is very slimmed down

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Jean-Louis Noel <jln at stben.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: "Chris Albertson" <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
>
>> Also according to them "radar" never was an acronym.
>
> OED says: radar orig. U.S. [f. radio detection and ranging.]
>
> Bye,
> Jean-Louis

=====
Chris Albertson