[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:43:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Dave M <dgminala at mediacombb.net> wrote:

.. never got off the launchpad because of their inability to come to
> consensus on a set of features. I had to conclude that too many cooks
> spoiled the broth. Everyone that had input to the project was unwilling to
> yield on anyone else's ideas.   Hopefully, our project won't degrade into
> another such fiasco.

THAT is the number one problem to solve.  Technical issues are easy

I think the solution is to
(1) chop the project up into small enough parts, each on it's own PCB
so that each part is "easy" and has some wider user outside the
project.
(2) Find a mechanical standard so all the PCBs can be mounted in some
kind of chassis.  I'm thinking now that maybe a 160-3U Eurocard would
be about right size.  But the parts are expensive.
(3) Need some sort of design process that allows everyone to
contribute.   And everyone can.  Projects always are lacking technical
writers and quality control people

Of those a "process" and "mechanical standard", I think are the
hardest.   We always give managers a hard time but that is what is
needed.  The person who will make this happen will be a manager and
organizer maybe not a designer.

--
=====
Chris Albertson