[time-nuts] what is the best way to multiply a 10 Mhz signal?

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Tue Dec 21 18:18:38 UTC 2010

Interesting. When I used to use and build DDSs back in the early 70's, we
typically used 2.56 times the maximum required frequency for a clock, to get
above Nyquist and allow adequate filtering stop-band rejection. At the time
we could not go much higher due to limitations in device speeds, especially
the D/A. Today you can easily use a much higher clock frequency which would
simplify filtering and reduce gain variations. At 70 MHz clock you are only
at 2.333 Nyquist. Even at 2.56 by the time you get to your desired goal of
30 MHz, you will have what looks just about like a square wave. So,
filtering will be a must, and, after filtering, you will find that your
amplitude output will greatly decrease with frequency. The other question is
phase noise objectives. If that is not a real concern, then as suggested,
maybe a simple locked VCO would be the way to go. 73 - Mike

Mike B. Feher, EOZ Inc.
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731
732-886-5960 office