[time-nuts] UBLOX GPS board testing

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Dec 22 09:07:30 UTC 2010

Jochen,

> With a Z3815A (Furuno receiver, E1938A oscillator) I noticed
> the PPS to jump up and down by 2 ns pk-pk in average.

Were the PPS derived from the OCXO's 10 MHz output then 2 ns changes were
the result of 2% frequency changes which is FAR beyond the EFC capabilities
of any OCXO that I know. If it really comes from the E1938A then I suspect a
bad oscillator.

On the other hand 2 ns pk-pk is close to the specs of a good timing receiver
with applied sawtooth correction. So your PPS may not come from the OCXO but
direct from the GPS receiver in conjunction with some software controlled
delay line for the sawtooth correction.

You can easily check whether this is the case: Leave the Z3815 off for some
time while you leave a second GPS receiver up and running. Immediately after
returning power to the Z3815A start to measure the time intervals between
their PPSs. If the time interval settles to a more or less "fixed" value
(disregarding jitter) in say some seconds, this would be a indicator that my
second guess is right. If in contrast to that the PPS comes from the OCXO
then it is subject to the Z3815A's regulation loop and will you will see a
shift over minutes to hours until it settles to a fixed value regarding the
second receiver.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert