[time-nuts] Form Factor and such, Big Picture

Heathkid heathkid at heathkid.com
Thu Dec 23 05:39:37 UTC 2010

Time for me to jump in on the Form Factor...

How about something like this: http://www.blacet.com/

It's the smaller of the modular synths but Blacet can provide the racks and
a VERY quiet power supply (+/- 15V).  The benefit to this is, the module can
be as wide as it needs to be... we can use PCB material or aluminum for RF
shielding, and it all fits into a nice rackmount enclosure.  Think SKB case
and we're good to go.  "Modular" had been around for a long time.  This is
"one" example of how to make it work.  MOOG had another form factor (larger
but same concept).  Why not focus on "height" first... (width can always be
accommodated) and features?

I have many unbuilt PICTIC II's and now I'm questioning why as it seems the
project went dead pretty quick as there hasn't been much discussion about
it.  I really thought there would be more (same with the "Small DMTD
project").

Another project when there is already the PICTIC II and the Small DMTD
project?  Really?

But, my suggestion for a Form Factor is *anything* that we can come up with
a common chassis (like the Blacet design) and have a place to openly discuss
the project without it getting lost in the NOISE that has become so common
lately on this list.