[time-nuts] Strange event on my Z3805A [REVISED to correct links]

Matt Osborn kc0ukk at msosborn.com
Tue Feb 2 03:58:11 UTC 2010

Steve,

I'm much more wizened than wise, but my understanding is that crystal
jumps do not come back. They stay at their new frequency.  I did
notice on your graph of the event that there were changes in the sat.
constellation at the beginning and end of the anomaly.

I've seen similar moves on both my Thunderbolt and Fury GPSDOs. All
seem to be related to satellite switching. One was so repetitive I was
able to identify the offending satellite.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:00:50 +1300, Steve Rooke <sar10538 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 2 February 2010 11:11, Matt Osborn <kc0ukk at msosborn.com> wrote:
>> I've seen similar results when the receiver switches satellites.
>> Multipath??
>
>It does that all the time as sats come in and out of view but I've
>never seen an event of this magnitude before. If you look at the trace
>for the preceeding 36h you can see peaks where the unit switches stats
>but those peaks are decades less than this peak.
>
>I also see that the EFC voltage changes very significantly, is this
>perhaps one of the infamous crystal jumps we have spoken about I
>wonder. The area of interest is that it appears somewhat unstable
>after the event but is improving now.
>
>Multipath, I don't think so as nothing has changed here and I live in
>an urban area well outside the city. Nothing has been errected or
>changed as far as I can see.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

-- kc0ukk at msosborn dot com