[time-nuts] ADEV vs MDEV

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 7 01:17:37 UTC 2010

Pete

Not sure how you implemented the 4ms holdoff.

With a 5370A/B I would have cascaded a pair of 74HC4059's to divide down
f1(~10MHz) produce a 200Hz (or whatever frequency desired eg 10Hz, 1Hz
etc) signal to drive the external ARM input.
Connected f1 to the START input and f2 (~ 10MHz but can be any frequency
within the counter input bandwidth) to the STOP input.
The jitter of the 200Hz arming signal isn't critical. The counter then
starts on the next zero crossing transition following the ARM signal
transition and stops on the next STOp input signal transition.
Unwrap the phase measurements and calculate ADEV, MDEV etc.

If one uses a 74AHC74 to resynchronise the output of each HC4059 then
the divider should be usable to 20MHz or so without any ambiguity in
identifying the next clock transition after each divider output transition.

Bruce