[time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution amplifier

life speed life_speed at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 01:27:12 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list, happened across it while searching on distribution amplifiers.

I need to design a 10 MHz isolation/distribution amplifier with two outputs for a high-vibration wide temperature range environment.  I was considering using a design based on the NIST article 'A new 5 and 10 MHz distribution amp', most likely the third incarnation, as I cannot tolerate modulation of the signal via the transformer.

I have looked at the work by Gerhard Hoffman, which is impressive.  However, the transformer remains.  I should mention I am also limited to 15V power supply, and need to output into 50 ohms at 10 dBm.  Ideally DC current will be minimized, preferably 20 - 30 mA per channel.  I can generate a negative power supply if necessary, but would prefer not to.

If anybody can offer tips so I don't undertake to reinvent the wheel, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
 - Lifespeed