[time-nuts] Vibrations

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Feb 11 17:12:55 UTC 2010

Hi

The case of a rubidium acts as a magnetic shield. I would not recommend
operating one without the case or any of the internal shields and covers.

The rubidium physics package operates on the internal crystal oscillator
through a fairly narrow loop bandwidth. If the issue looks like microphonics
I would start looking at the OCXO and buffering first.

The physics package needs to heat up in order to do it's work. If you try to
cool it, the heaters will just draw more power to keep it hot.

With any standard, keeping the external environment constant is more
important than keeping it at one temperature or another. The first thing to
do is to eliminate drafts. The stuff will run a few degrees warmer, but it
will be more stable.

Bob