[time-nuts] Tight PLL Tester

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 00:02:04 UTC 2010

If one follows that diagram blindly one will encounter a few problems
with a 10MHz mixer/phase detector input frequency.

1) The PLL is a first order loop and the frequency of the OCXO being
servoed to the oscillator under test has to be carefully adjusted to be
close to that of the oscillator under test so that the phase detector
operates in its linear region. A second order PLL may be a better choice.

2) The mixer IF port termination is far from optimum (see later NIST
papers).
The phase detector sensitivity is much lower than with a better IF
termination network.
A simple simulation (or test on an actual mixer/phase detector) will
show this.

3) An off the shelf 750uH inductor will typically exhibit several series
and parallel resonances in the 100kHz to 20MHz region.
Thus there may still be significant RF at the input of the dc amplifier
with 80dB gain.
There will be a significant sum frequency (20MHz) component at the input
to the LC filter.
The dc amplifier following the filter will rectify any RF at its input.
Amplifiers with FET input stages are less sensitive to RF.
An inductor with no resonances below 20MHz is preferred.
100uH inductors with a first SRF greater than 20MHz are available but
from Germany.
It is usually advisable to use an RC filter between the LC filter output
and the amplifier input to reduce the RF amplitude seen by the dc amplifier.
Another option is to use a cascaded set of passive RC filters instead of
the LC filter, but this inevitably increases the noise.

4) One cannot substitute either a DVM or an oversampling ADC for the V
to F converter and counter and produce a set of output samples that will
necessarily allow one to calculate accurate values for ADEV without
correcting for the fact that the system phase noise spectral response
will differ from that when a VFC is used.

If the shape of the phase noise transfer functions differ from that when
a VFC is used, the computed frequency stability measures obtained will
not be ADEV, MDEV etc.

Bruce