[time-nuts] Loran C sounds

Peter Putnam pico.2008 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 12 15:29:39 UTC 2010

Greetings,

As a former user of Loran for aircraft navigation, I can safely say that
there is no reason to preserve the system.

The antenna required on an aircraft must be vertically polarized and of
significant length. The route from the US west coast to Hawaii had no
coverage in the middle one-third of the route at night. Coverage was
even less during daylight hours.

Cycle slipping was always an issue; one needed to have a dead-reckoning
position available to make sure the Loran-derived position was accurate.
Errors of hundreds of miles (that pop back to zero without warning) were
seen on the TI 9000 unit, a $1500 box, that displayed only time
differences. Calculation of the flight log was a separate time consuming
effort.

Coverage in the Southern Hemisphere was  not available. My A-10 aircraft
bubble-sextant and Tamaya NC-2 sight-reduction calculator served me well
in that half of the world.

Now I can have a position update once per second, accurate to a few
meters, anywhere in the world, with no antenna issues, in a hand-held
GPS receiver requiring no power from the aircraft, that automatically
updates the time to each fix along the route, for under $100.

Good-bye to Loran C and Loran A, too, which had even worse problems with
skywave contamination of the groundwave signal. Plotting a position on
paper charts overprinted with hyperbolic lines wasn't particularly
accurate anyway, especially along the baseline of a chain.

Regards,
Peter