[time-nuts] any WWV audio recordings available?

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Sat Feb 13 18:02:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 04:08:55PM -0800, Scott Burris wrote:
> Well, I just had a very odd experience today.  I put the clock back
> in service, but forgot to attach either the long wire antenna
> or the extensible whip antenna.  After a few minutes on 15Mhz in the
> middle of the day, it picked up the time!
>
> Attaching either the wire antenna or the whip made the signal
> stronger, but brought in a *lot* more noise.
> Maybe I have a local source of noise and the antennas have been
> making it worse?  I'm shocked that it picked up
> anything with no antenna.  I'm about 800 mi southwest of Fort Collins.

	Noise is a good possibility; here's another:

	Not sure about LA, but when I lived in the Bay Area, it was
a pretty common experience to copy both WWV and WWVH at about the
same strength (here usually one of the two is very dominant.)

	It's possible that isn't helping any, and you're better off
with less antenna than more.

	--msa